At New Mexico History Museum Auditorium
Opening Night Reception and Panel Discussion, Sept. 13, 2018 (5-8pm)
At Santa Fe New Mexico’s Railyard
Weekend History Celebration, Sept. 15-16, 2018
Railroad Art, Photography, and Model Railroad Exhibition, Sept. 8-30, 2018
New Mexico Railroad History Celebration
Family weekend event held in the railyard of historic Santa Fe, New Mexico. The inaugural weekend is September 15-16, 2018 for the celebration along with our associated Railroad Art, Photography, and Model Railroad Exhibition from September 8-30, 2018.
The event is history, culture, and educational fun – family enjoyment and awareness of this unique vast treasure of railroad history all around the state to inspire future railroad professionals, historians, and hobbyists.
The event is free to the public.
Opening Night Reception and Panel Discussion - Sept. 13, 2018, 5pm - 8pm
- New Mexico History Museum Auditorium where the public is invited to participate in a panel discussion regarding historical rail development in New Mexico with 5-6 notable individuals
- The evening event is the kickoff to the inaugural Weekend History Celebration
- Admission is free - Seating is limited
Weekend History Celebration – Sept. 15-16, 2018, 10am - 4pm
- El Museo Cultural Exhibit Center featuring 21,000 sq. ft. of model railroad layouts surrounded by railroad art and photography – Professionals, amateurs, and children’s work
- Railroad education, information, and concession booths for railroad history, railroad safety, locomotive restoration projects, docent-led history tours of the Plaza, Railyard, etc. at El Museo Cultural
- Docent-led history tours staged at the historic La Fonda Hotel and organized with the New Mexico History Museum in conjunction with the celebration event
- Railyard Park “Living History” reenactment stations and cultural demonstrations of the era
- Violet Crown Cinema hosting a Train Film Festival along with model railroad layout in cinema lobby
- Bicycle tours of historic and active rail alignments led by the Santa Fe Conservation Trust departing from El Museo Cultural
- Santa Fe Depot Visitors Center will feature on-going build of a permanent operating model railroad layout designed and built by Santa Fe Model Railroad Club
- Santa Fe Railyard Districts Ten-year Anniversary
Month-long Exhibition – Sept. 8-30, 2018 (weekends), 10am - 4pm
- El Museo’s Railroad Art, Photography, and Model Railroad Exhibition
- Professionals, amateurs, and children’s work surrounding model railroad layouts
Throughout the Weekend Event visitors can engage in:
- State-wide railroad tourism destination details
- Children’s events – interactive layout, wooden trains on floor, railroad coloring, etc.
- Restoration videos and details of historic locomotives such as Albuquerque’s #2926 steam locomotive
- Exploration of historic Santa Fe landmarks – La Fonda (Harvey House up until 1969) and Tomasita’s Restaurant (originally Union Station built in 1904)
- Revitalization details of historic Harvey Houses (La Castañeda in Las Vegas, NM and La Posada in Winslow, AZ) with Allan Affeldt’s renovation projects
- Railroad tracks with prototype railway equipment to view and photograph – RailRunner, and Santa Fe Southern Railway locomotives and coaches
Photograph by John Bjorklund, Collection of Center for Railroad Photography and Art